Coffee shops are everywhere, but what do you ask if you’re trying to be ‘healthy’?
Black tea has zero calories and freshly brewed black coffee has only 4 calories.. but there are more interesting drinks (which we go to the coffee shop to buy!).. here are my top tips. for a delicious (but healthy) hot coffee drink..
- Skip the ice cream: Ice cream is one of the most energy-dense foods. Saying no to whipped cream can save you up to 100 calories and 10 grams of fat (the equivalent of a small chocolate bar).
- Ask for skim milk: Asking for skim milk can save about 150 calories and 15 grams of fat. Some coffee shops automatically use full-fat milk, so don’t be afraid to ask about a lighter option.
- Ask for sugar-free syrup – Do these exist.. Not all the cafes but on the main streets they have. Each syrup pump adds 20 calories and 5 grams of sugar (if they don’t have a sugar-free variety, only one pump is required). My personal favorite is unsweetened vanilla or hazelnut syrup with hot skim milk (delicious!)
- Sweetened in a calorie-free way If you like your drink sweeter, instead of adding sugar, add sweetener. This will save not only calories but also reduce the risk of tooth decay.
- Share a cake – If you can’t resist the temptation of the dishes on offer, why not share one? Sharing means you will only consume 1/2 calories but won’t miss out on the taste & experience. So you can take your cake and eat it.. However, if you prefer to eat your own cake, read my blog 80:20 rule to limit the damage..!
.. However, remember you don’t have to drink out to enjoy a super delicious cup of coffee.. just check out my delicious Sugar Free Ice Mocha recipe below!